The Origins of Photography
Chapter Summary Response
- Identify the following images by name of artist or by title if name unknown
- Besides the great value on imaginative art, what was one of the most common uses for making visual depictions before photography and what four (4) devices / techniques used by artists before the invention of photography?
- Describe the contributions of Thomas Wedgwood and Humphry David to the development of early European photography?
- Name the two people who were “recognized” for inventing photography in 1839, their key discoveries and what was their relationship to each other?
- Discuss the two early experiments and discoveries John Hershel made in photography, including the possibilities of color photography?
- Name the individual who was a close friend of John Hershel and also discovered a means of conceiving light-induced images? Name and describe the process he created, including how it was different from the other processes invented?
Submit responses online below or download and complete the pdf questionnaire –