The Second Invention of Photography
Chapter Summary Response
- Identify the following images by name of artist or by title if name unknown
- What are the differences between the daguerreotype and calotype processes?
- Discuss the following issues and considerations with the early photographic work of William Henry Fox Talbot: What was the observed symbolic nature of his photograph, The Open Door? What was the significance of his photograph, The Haystack? Describe what The Pencil of Nature was?
- Name three (3) photographers who used photography as part of their research in anthropology, medicine and ethnography, and briefly identify the nature of their research.
- Discuss the philosophical and technical difficulties photographers faced when they attempted to document war and what type of images did photographers make as a result of these difficulties?
- Which photographic process was preferred for late 19th-century portraiture and why? Name the two most notable photographic studio firms known for the portraiture work and the process they used?
Click to download and complete the pdf questionnaire –