Popular Photography and the Aims of Art
Chapter Summary Response
- Identify the following images by name of artist or by title if name unknown
- What type of photographs became popular in the late 19th–century and helped turned photography into an industry? How did it work and why did it represent an “unprecedented leap forward in realistic representation?
- What were French poet and critic Charles Baudelaire’s thoughts on photography as a means of record-keeping?
- Specifically, what type of photography did Nadar practice and name two innovations he pioneered?
- What type of photographs were known as “living pictures” and were popular subjects for early photographers? Who made the most famous “High Art” photograph at the time(include title), describe the photograph and why was it recognized as such an important photograph?
- What type of photographs is Lewis Carroll known for and why have they been the subject of criticism and debate?
Submit responses online below or download and complete the pdf questionnaire, PHOT 154 Chapter 3 Summary.pdf