Imaging of the Social World
Chapter Summary Response
- Identify the following images by name of artist or by title if name unknown
- Which famous war photograph was singled out for its “terrible suggestions of conflict?” Who made the photograph? What made the photograph arouse such strong feelings?
- Which photographer / photography studio was best known for documenting the Civil War? What type of wartime photographs did this photographer make? Name two notable photographers who photographed the Civil War while working for this studio? How was the photograph, Home of a Rebel Sharpshooter, made by one of these photographers?
- What types of photographs did photographers stress and emphasize as they traveled to India, China, Japan and the Middle East? How did these photographs promote the notion of the photographer in a foreign land?
- Identify four reasons why photographs were made by photographers who accompanied the various topographical survey teams of the American West?
- Name the photographer who was best known and the most influential to photograph the dramatic scenery of Yosemite and describe how his photographs were constructed to portray the landscape and nature?
Submit responses online below or download and complete the pdf questionnaire, PHOT 154 Chapter 4 Summary.pdf